Do You Have Sleep Apnea?
Many, and I mean many folks have sleep apnea. Most of us are unaware we have it because …*drum roll please*…We are asleep or in the case of someone with severe sleep apnea, TRYING to sleep.
Typically, couples who struggle to sleep together get tested for sleep apnea. One spouse complains about the other snoring or simply not breathing at all for periods of time. What about the rest of us who do not have that significant other to keep an eye on us or punch us in the gut to get us to stop snoring?
If you are unsure if you have sleep apnea talk to your doctor, especially if you exhibit any of the following indicators.
Those of us who are at high risk for sleep apnea typically exhibit one of the following:
- Cardiology Referral – (4 to 8 of every 10 have apnea – Kasai et all. 2012 depending on practice subspecialty focus)
- Drug Resistant Hypertensive – (8+ of every 10 have apnea – Logan et al. 2001)
- Drug resistant Insomnia – (7+ of every 10 have apnea – Krakow et al. 2010
- Obese & Diabetes – (8+ of every 10 have apnea – Foster et al. 2009)
- Heart Failure – (7+ of every 10 have apnea Oldenburg et al. 2007)
- Obese at Bariatric Center – (7+ of every 10 have apnea – Lopez et al. 2008)
If you fall into any of these categories, consider getting a sleep study.
Below is a list of apnea Indicators. If you answer yes to 2 or more, you may have sleep apnea and need a CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machine, which is a common treatment for this condition.
- Daytime Fatigue
- Observed Apnea
- Morning Headaches (Due to low O2 Levels while asleep)
- Nonrestorative sleep
- Frequent urination at night
Here at Medicap Pharmacy and CPAP, we carry the top 2 brands of CPAP machines and supplies. The Respironics Dream Station CPAP and the ResMed AirSence 10 CPAP. We also have nasal and full-face masks and supplies from Resmed, Respironics, and Fisher & Paykal.
If you have any questions or think you may have sleep apnea, feel free to contact us, as we have Sleep and Respiratory Therapists available to assist you.
Email questions to: email@example.com
Call us at 208-805-1070